Sunday, February 6, 2011

Friday-A Day Without Words :O

Friday can be summed up in one word-Rough. It was really hard to express everything I was feeling through charades. This was especially difficult during lunch, where besides actually eating, it was tempting for me to join in the conversations, but I knew I couldn't or else I'd lose the deal. Then, it hit me. That is exactly what Postman was talking about in Amusing Ourselves To Death. Without talking, my life was very awkward and it was hard for me to really express what I was feeling. In the same way, Postman warns us that our lives are becoming very much like mine on Friday. In the new age of social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, and other methods like texting, actual verbal communication between people is diminishing. As such, it's hard to distinguish tone and sarcasm in something as simple as a status update. Friday's experiment certainly put my life in the 21st century into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment